Wednesday, March 10, 2010

'Fan-of' #9

This blogs is about 'fan-of' pages - "Kitchen Nightmares", "Mythbusters", "LOST", "House" and just added today (because they will be in Fort Ticonderoga in tonights episode) "Ghost Hunters". the theme, as you can probably tell, is TV programs.

I'll do a quick write up of each show, that is, why I am a fan of each.

"Kitchen Nightmares" - I am a fan of this show for a few reasons. Not in any specific order. Gordon Ramsay (who I am also a 'fan-of'). He's just hot. He's scottish. He's hot. He's a smart ass. He's hot. He's a great chef. He's hot. Ok, I'll stop saying he's hot, you get it. He is really a smart person though, if you can get past his foul language. Some people can, some can't ~shrugs~ that doesn't change the fact that while he's berating the people under him, if you stop and listen, he is also teaching them as well. That is easy to see on his other show (in the US) "Hell's Kitchen". Well, that is after you get past the language. Maybe to see the 'sweetheart' side you need to watch his OTHER show "Gordon Ramsay's - The F Word". Back to the original show. Yes, I am a fan partially because of him. I am also a fan of the show because it really brings it home how BAD some of these places are. They really show the darker side of the restaurant business, and while I am not even coming to close to saying all restaurants are that bad, some are pretty awful, and it scares me to think that even though we haven't eaten in any of those specific ones, maybee somewhere we have eaten in one that is JUST as gross...and well, scary. Another reason I am a fan of the show is Gordon Ramsay. No, I'm kidding. It's the turn around. When the owner actually stops and listens to the very successful GR, his business usually takes off, and stays up there, and the struggle I think is hilarious. Here is some idiot, usually telling GR he has no clue what he's doing, yet how many places does GR own and run successfully? And how many does said idiot own and run successfully? Yeah, cracks me up.

"Mythbusters"- I love this show, well used to watch it all the time, but now "Ghost Hunters" is on opposite, so not so much, but I do watch the repeats. I love how they take these run of the mill myths, myths we hear every day, and prove them right or wrong. Jamie and Adam do a great job of explaining their science in easy every day English, so simple that even my 12 year old daughter can understand what they are saying, and they also don't shy away from some of the more, uhm, explosive myths, in fact those are preferred! It's fascinating how they come to their conclusions, and at the end, if a viewer has issues, and voices them, and they make sense, they will re-visit the myth, to make sure they themselves didn't miss anything! Jamie and Adam make a great team, and then add Grant, Kari and Tory, it just rounds out to be an awesome show!

"LOST" - Ok, how can you not like LOST? Seriously? It is a show that leaves you asking more questions then feelings like you found answers. Ok, so I guess I can understand why some may not like that, but I think it is a pretty interesting premise. All these people crash, some die, some don't, and the ones that don't, well, they are there for a reason. It is now the 'final season' of LOST, and so they are all about touting that we will have answers, and the lead up has been fantastic, I think. I like it as a show in itself, and I am not sitting there every Wednesday wondering what the next ____ will be, I just take it as it is, and it works for me. (And plus, Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is HOT!)

"House" - A sarcastic doctor who gets the answers right more often then wrong, but only after he's gotten them wrong more often then he's gotten it right. He walks around with his cane, and (in past seasons) drug addiction, and no one even thinks twice cause he's "The Man". he knows his shit, medically wise, and I can almost without doubt say that anyone who has seen his show would prefer to be treated by him, maybe not his attitude, but his knowledge. Me, I think Gregory House and I would get a long just fine, after a few incidents...but in the end, does it really matter, as long as he's right.

"Ghost Hunters" - I love this show! Steve and Grant run a pretty slick ship, and their team is the perfect mix of seriousness and goofyness. The fact that they go into a residence (or business) with the plan of DIS proving a haunting, that right there gets my respect. (GHI, not so much, they seem to have the thought of trying to prove...). They (back to the original GH) will try to find what makes the noise, or causes the motion, and only when it can't be found will they consider that perhaps something paranormal is amist.

Tonight, they are in Fort Ticonderoga, NY. The actual fort, it is awesome. We have been there many times, and it is a favorite place for us to visit. I am strongly looking forward to seeing what (notice I don't say "if") they find.

Now, those are some of my favorite shows. I do enjoy a bit of variety, and a couple even go with the "Karma: What goes around comes around" (yet another of my 'fan-of' pages) theory, look at LOST, and to some extent House.

I enjoy my down time at night, and I enjoy these shows to help me relax and unwind. they are all interesting enough that they keep my attention, and give Jeff and I time to just kind of spend time together, and not have to be doing anything, other then co-existing.

So, there' my 'fan-of' #9...The next one is my last one, for this assignment, and is a topic that I feel is also important (and borderline hot topic.)

2 comments:

Kim said...

So.. You and I are totally on the same page with House. He is a total jackass, but he is good at what he does. I only get to see the re-runs it comes on just as I am leaving for my night "shift". So I am not up to date on what is going on with the show.

GH, that is J and I's time together. We will sit in my room and totally freak each other out. Rewind and pick at everything.

I also agree I do not like GHI (mine is the big ape that runs the gig reminds me of my ex-creeps me out).

The others, I have never got into.

Rachael said...

I love all of GR shows my favrite is Hells Kitchen He is so real with the people he deals with and his foul mouth cracks me up. I have often wondered if the resturants we frequent are as nasty as some of them he visits.

I tried watching lost but it left me well kinda lost so i gave it up lol

I never eally watch the other ones but I also use primetime tv to kinda wind down the day.
Btw how is Kae doing o her Fan ofs ?