This post will include two ‘hot button’ topics, as I am a fan on two ‘hot button’ pages, and I am just going to do both right off, because I feel strongly about both, and it gets them out of the way.
To start, I will go with my ‘fan-of’ page “Say No To Abortion”.
I am a fan of “Say No To Abortion”. Yes, it is another on e of those almost self explanatory fan pages. Really it is, it’s clearly a page that states I disagree with abortion (actually, I find abortion sickening, heart wrenching, cruel, preventable, wrong, and morally abhorrent) . Let me explain why.
Abortion. It is the surgical removal of a living being from a woman’s body and upon it‘s removal death of the living being is expected. Yes. A living being. Yes. It is expected to die during or closely after removal. A being that is there by no choice of it’s own, but by the choice of the woman who is now killing it. A being that the woman knew there was a risk of when she had sex (forced sex excluded, but still I disagree with abortion, even in those cases). A living being that will not ever have a chance to turn into a functional, productive member of society. Why?
Because it was killed before it even had a chance to survive.
This living being, this BABY, was killed because the woman it is growing in (and NO I will not call her a mother in -this- babies case) made a mistake. Somewhere her values got screwed up, something happened, I don’t care what because at the core, at the base of the matter, this woman, she is killing, yes KILLING, her very own baby. This baby who will never grow up to have children of it’s own, will never bring home an ‘A’ for this woman to be proud of, will never say “I love you”, will never hear “I love you“ (outside of the womb, although, I don‘t buy the “I did it because I loved my child“ reason, if you love that baby, you will not kill it.).
This baby will never be, because a woman ‘has a right to choose’. Fuck that.
A woman has the right to chose. Yes, she does. When she hops in bed with a man and spreads her legs, THAT is her choice. Right there, the willingness to even take the risk that her birth control could fail, or that it’s the right (wrong) time…she makes that choice!
An innocent life should NOT be extinguished because a woman’s selfish choice. THAT is not a choice.
I will quote the truck I saw. “It is not a choice. It is a child.” A truer statement I have NEVER heard.
(I say all this with the awareness that there are people I know who have had abortions, who feel tremendously guilty, and they live with their guilt. I get that, it’s done, I am fairly sure in their cases they would not do it again, I hope anyway. It is what it is, and I try look past it when I look at them, not always successful, but I try.)
And while we are talking about choices…
We can move on here to my next ‘fan-of’ page, “Saving Penises”.
Let’s see if I can relate my reasoning for being a ‘fan-of’ this face book page clearly.
I think circumcision is wrong. (Unless medically necessary.) I think that a page dedicated to the education of people in the area of circumcision is an AWESOME thing. I think that there are just to many, uhm, naïve people out there who have NO CLUE what it actually is.
The fact that it’s medically unnecessary, and yet it’s still so common sickens me. The fact that 6 out of 10 people who have chosen to circumcise are for reasons such as “so he looks like his dad” and “so he looks like the other boys” . Ridiculous! There is NO reason to do it. It is wrong, especially for those reasons (Religious reasons I am WAY iffy on, still, I disagree though). It is mutilating!
A foreskin has so many nerves in it, and late in life, the boys sex life will be ‘enhanced’ so to speak because those nerves are there to help with the love making process. They are tender, and they protect the penis.
Now you take that same boy, who is but HOURS old, and cut it off, often without anesthesia! WTF?!?! How can you DO that?
It reduces the risk of STDs. Sure…but perhaps WEARING A CONDOM would as well, but no, we’ll cut it off, instead of educating our children on safe sex, just cut off the offending flap of ‘pointless needless’ skin. Why don’t we also cut the folds of our baby girls vaginas out too, while we’re at it, that should surely help with the spread of STDs right?
It reduces the risk of cervical cancer in women. uhm, Safe sex, haven’t I already covered condoms? And really, looks at the numbers, cervical cancer happens whether the male(s) circumcised or NOT!
There are religions who practice female circumcision (and there are different levels of it, of course, I’m talking ANY level…) and that’s gruesome and horrific (not to mention illegal), but to cut part of our baby boy’s penis off? That’s ok! Go ahead!
It reduce the risk of penile cancer. Sure! While we’re at it, why don’t we cut the breasts off the baby girls we have? That should reduce the risk of breast cancer right?
It’s cleaner. And teaching our sons that they need to clean it is a problem how? I get it, boys are dirty, but really, come ON.
It’s a parents RIGHT to have their sons circumcised. Now, we know how I feel about a woman’s right to kill her unborn baby, any guessers on how I feel about this one? If you guessed that ”Iiri thinks parents should NOT have the right to cut the very sensitive foreskin off their baby boys” then you would get a cookie. It is NOT a parents right to remove parts of their babies. Just really, it’s NOT. It’s the babies FUTURE choice, not something that can’t wait.
Baby Boys are not a parents property, they are a parents child. They should be protected, guarded and loved without threat of pain.
IF you feel strongly about your son being circumcised, strapped down to a table, with iffy local anesthetic, while a doctor takes a scalpel and cuts his foreskin off so he’ll ’fit in’ you need to do a little more research. Watch a video or three, talk to parents of circumcised boys, and NOT circumcised boys. Read EVERY bit of information you can find.
Did you know that until the early 1980’s NEWBORN babies were operated on, actually had OPEN HEART surgery with JUST the paralytic, NO PAIN RELIEF because it was thought newborns don’t feel pain. Where now, we have found that not only do they FEEL pain, the pain they feel is more INTENSE? Cutting off parts that are already full of nerves is ok how?
Seriously. Look it up. Watch videos. If you can’t watch a video, how can you, in good conscience, do it to your son? If you can’t take the time to do research, and I mean SERIOUS research, read about the pros and cons.
Do you know how many babies die a year from circumcision? Do you know how many babies encounter lasting issues due to circumcision? Do you know how many babies will get infections, have bleeding issues, have partial penile amputations due to circumcision?
If the answer to any of those is no, then you are not educated.
The answer to a NON circumcised baby boy having any of those issues. 0.
When they grow up, educate them. teach them about cleanliness, safe sex, what changes to watch for, and in the meantime, enjoy your perfect, healthy, with EVERY part he was born with, baby boy.
(And again, I will say something similar above disclaimer….just about circumcision, not abortion…I say all this with the awareness that there are people I know who have had their sons circumcised, some who feel tremendously guilty, and they live with their guilt, and some who don‘t. I get that, it’s done, I am fairly sure they all know how I feel, and maybe I at least cause them to pause if they find themselves pregnant with a boy, I hope anyway. It is what it is, and I try look past it when I look at them, not always successful, but I try.)
And my FINAL disclaimer-
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and these are mine. If you don’t like it, go ahead and read my next ‘fan-of’ blog “If you don’t like me you can go f*ck yourself”, coming soon.
4 comments:
i so respect you for standing up for your views so strongly! you do it with respect for different views, while still trying to educate, & personally i really appreciate it.
just our of curiousity-- what are your thoughts on religiously mandated cicrcumcision? (i.e. jewish folks, specifically). i ask bc i have cousins who are jewish & the bris is a HUGE deal, very important to religious jewish families, & it has thousands of years of history behind it. i'm not advocating (you know my recent circ woes) but i do respect the religious tradition & just wondered what you thought of it. no judgement-- just curious! :)
Wow! As you know I am pro-who the hell knows. But I totally get where you stand on the pro-choice BEFORE life was made, maybe that is where I stand (I am confused)!
Circ, amazing! You said it so well!!
:D I like what you said, sheesh... guess I motivated you a little with my blog. lol
Good question Kate!
Honestly, I do have a hard time with it still, but there is part of me that 'gets' that it's religious. I would still encourage the parents to do their research (and I have heard of some breaking away from the full circ), but I also know that they would be less swayed, because it is tradition.
Kim, I guess I did well with my 'half page' then? LOL!
And Jeff, you knew it was coming, you were just priming me, LOL!
Post a Comment