I am going to take a break from my usual rants and post about someone very special to me, and someone I love very much, and who makes me so proud.
This post is about Kae.
I know that often you will hear me complain about her, and that she's done something 'awful' of selfish, or crabby, or brainless, and I know that is all a part of raising a tween girl. She does do things that make me swell with pride, and I love seeing that side of her.
A friend blogged about her birth stories of her oldest, and I think that is fitting here as well...so I'm stealing that K ;)
Just over 12 years ago, I was shopping with my mother, and I was very pregnant, (36w6d) with a baby of unknown gender (we chose to wait until baby arrived to find out the gender). My back was aching a little, and I found that squatting helped ease the discomfort. We spent a good day buying the last odds and ends we needed, and came home, where I washed everything and put it away. I remember clearly, my father stating it wil be soon, I was nesting.
That night, my back was still achy, and I decided to call my doctor, who told me, I kid you not, "Take two tylenol, and call me in the morning." So, I took two tylenol, and went to bed. I spent the night restless, uncomfortable, and a good bit awake. At about 3 am, I called L&D and they said, that since it was my first pregnancy, that I may or may not be in labor, but stay home until I was really uncomfortable. Ok.
7 am. I go out to the living room, and then I run to the bathroom to get sick. Mom tells me, you need to go to the hospital. So, M gets the jeep ready, and away we go.
We get to the hospital, and the nurses are telling me to settle in, it's going to be a long day. My contractions are irregular still, and seemingly not very strong. the told me they doubted seriously that I was really making any progress, and was most likely dehydrated.
They checked me, and I was 7 cm! They decided to break my water, and then the discomfort turns into real pain.
M runs out to call his family, and I go take a hot shower (was ALL back labor), and that helped a little, but every contraction had me yelling for M, and the nurses kept telling me to relax, and if i felt like I needed to poop to breath through my nose. I got out of the shower, and the nurse was trying to get my to put a johnnie on, funny stuff, I flat out refused, and it really weirded out the nurse, not sure why?
M comes back, and the doc comes in a few minutes later, and says Ok...let's push...
A (very) few minutes later, the doctor tells me to reach down, and he puts my hands under her shoulders, and I pull her out. (That part was a wonderful experience!).
At 955 am my daughter was born.
And now, let's move on to what prompted this particular blog.
Two nights ago, I went to her schools performance of "Willie Wonka". Liam, of course, wouldn't sit still, so I brought him outside while Jeff watched (I knew there were two nights, and with his work, wasn't sure if he would get to see the second night.) Liam and I were outside, and another little girl came out. Her caretaker told me her sister was a squirrel.
The moment struck me, because I absolutely was shocked by my feeling in my response.
"Oh, that's great! His sister is Willie Wonka." I said it very nonchalant, but inside, I was bursting. My daughter was the LEAD in the play, and that was the first time it -really- sunk in.
Last night, I went back, and watched it without interruption. My Kae did wonderfully. She did great. She was perfect. She even nailed the maniacal laugh she has been fretting over since she was awarded the role of Willie Wonka (maybe even a little do well, heheee!).
I told her she nailed it. I knew there were spots that weren't right, but she improvised her way right through it, and the audience never knew the difference. She said later "I messed up". I asked her if anyone noticed, her answer was that the audience laughed at her, and I told her because SHE made it funny, the audience never knew better. Still doubtful, I told her what I was told by the high school theater teacher. "I'll take her in a heart beat, she did GREAT!".
Kae made me a very proud Momma last night.
I love you Kae!
4 comments:
Awe! What a wonderful blog!
I cried the entire way through that blog! So beautiful...you have so many reasons to be proud of her. Congratulations to you and to Kae for such a great job in her play!
Aw, how sweet! Girls might be a pain sometimes, but they are wonderful!
On a rather ridiculous side note: I need to get my eyes checked, I could have sworn you wrote that the nurse told you to wait until you felt like you needed to poop through your nose...
Tabor
for some reason, Kae's birth story totally made me tear up. pg crazies? maybe, but i'm inclined to think that the amount of love in this post was just so obvious that it made some happy tears. :)
& way to go kae!!! so glad you got to see her show!
Post a Comment