Friday, November 20, 2009

houdini dog(s)

Hmm, this post is going to seem kinda funny on the heels of the last post, but oh well.

Here's the story. We have three dogs. One is a large male border collie/collie, he looks JUST like a short hair collie. His sister is a medium/large dog, again, border collie/collie but she looks JUST like a border collie. You seriously wouldn't even think they are brother and sister, one litter apart. Anyway. Our third dog is a Shi-tzu. Large for his breed, we actually suspect that he is more Lhasa Apso, but we can't prove it, and it's really not a big deal, we have our dogs to be dogs, not for show.

Meet Jake, the collie looking one, barks at EVERYTHING. Annoyingly so. He also is protective, but he will let everything pass by, but as soon as they pull into our yard, he's on top of them. So we hook him. He's not dangerous, but you could definitely perceive him to be if you don't know him.

Meet Jill, the border collie looking one, barks at, and chases, big trucks, so she needs hooked, for obvious reasons, especially when UPS comes. UPS knows not to go to the front door, but the side door. She wears two collars, and when we hook her out, we hook the lead to BOTH collars.

Meet Odin, the Shi-Tzu, is just a bonehead, he is not so smart, but, fortunately not much of a barker or a chaser, but he needs to be hooked otherwise he'll mindlessly wander off.

SO you see, all three have reasons they need to be hooked out. A fence really isn't something we are interested in, for both monetary and visual reasons.

Well, we get them a new lead fairly often, especially with Jill darting after trucks, she really pulls on the run, so the slightest bit of rust, and we get a new one. Anyway...the newest run/lead we got is the issue. They are fairly expensive (can't just get the medium dog size, because of Jill), and the larger run sizes all come with the same kind of hooks...

ALL THREE DOGS can SOMEHOW get OFF the run!!!!!!!!!!! We thought maybe the hook had some kind of defect, so we bought a climbing carabinger (sp) and they can get off of that (presumably because they twist it?). It happens at least once a day, and oddly, more often to Mom then anyone else, but today it happened to me, with Jill, who we hook the lead to TWO separate collars on a regular basis. It came off both. Just fell off.

So, I am hooking the dogs to the run with the new clip, and the old one...but still, not sure what to do about it?

I am seriously starting to think that a ghost is letting them off the run. I know, I know. But it happens just seldomly enough to make me wonder. Top that with the fact that today right after I retrieved Jill, I was putting dishes away, and a glass from the shelf ABOVE the dishes just fell off randomly at me. I wasn't anywhere even near it, in fact, when it came off I was scooting around Liam reaching up to put a bowl away. So yeah.

Anyway, aside from getting a fence (which even if it was a consideration would still make me nervous because once upon a time I had a german shepard mix who jumped an 8 foot fence with a broken leg!) I just am not sure what to do. I am going to price out another new run with a different clasp, but all the ones I have seen just don't look like they would hold Jill in her chase mode.

So yeah, help, advice, suggestions?

6 comments:

mandy_moo said...

dang, I don't know what to tell you. Frida used to be a little Houdini dog too. We used to have a little picket fence in the front of our yard (we don't have a backyard, it's all on the side, so the picket fence was in the "front" of our side yard, blah, anyways. lol) and she could squeeze between or under the pickets, not sure which. Maybe both. So then we started tying her out. One of the times we tied her, she busted her choke chain. Another time she just chewed right through the tether. Another time she was still on the tether but went under the back fence (our back fence actually belongs to the trailer park behind us and it is really old and needs to be replaced). We eventually gave up on the idea of leaving her alone in the yard (obviously not something you can do with your dogs) and resorted to taking her out on the leash every time she needed to do business. which SUCKED. LOL. Once we got Nacho we decided that just wasn't an option anymore, so we bought some wire stuff in rolls to go around the fence all over the yard so she couldnt' sneak between or under anything anymore. That seems to have done the trick, thank goodness. Because when she gets out, she RUNS. She's a beagle, so by golly, she follows her nose. And she doesn't seem to feel any loyalty toward me, sadly, though she does feel some toward Mike.

iiri said...

LOL, story time Mandy?

Glad you got Frida straightened out.

I would just leash walk the dogs but...the two big ones take AGES, and I don't trust Jill on a leash not to pull, and Odin, well, he takes forever as well...

It would be just so nice if we could let our dogs just go out and play without worrying.

mandy_moo said...

LOL, sorry 'bout that!!

Yeah, leashing them isn't really an option. And I know what you mean about being able to just take them out without worrying. Good luck, I hope you guys are able to find some sort of solution.

Kim said...

LOL wow Mandy!! Our dog Rowdy is also beagle mix, that dog RUNS at the first chance.

Iiri, I have no idea. We had a pitbull (loved her but she was too much dog with a newborn C). Anyway she was one of those dogs you would wonder how in the hell. We had to make a run. We have a shed that we made a box in then cut a hole for a "house" We then built the run coming off that. Instead of fence across the top we used netting. It works on Rowdy, but it didn't work on the pit.

Kim said...

That sounds funny, we made a box in our shed, cut a hole in the side of the shed for a house for the dog. The side of the shed acted as one wall on the run.

iiri said...

Ah Kim, I understood the first time! LOL!

We do have a couple buildings on our property (all need fixing) but that makes me think about it. If we get to fixing one up in the spring, we could make it a "dog house".

You have inspired me to think about that, which I never even considered! It's a great idea!