The plan and my thoughts.
We are going to tear down the 'Yeti House' and re-use what wood is still good to build a small building for the chickens and goats we are going to get. At least 6 chickens and a rooster, and two goats, male and female.
We are going to clear the side hill, and put gardening platforms up there, so that way we aren't using a lot of yard space to garden.
I was thinking about tearing down the old sauna, and rebuilding it for use as...you guessed it, a sauna. If we need it for heat later, we have that extra stove. A relocation would be ok.
I would also like to build up a small stockpile of wood, 5 cords or so, enough to get us through a winter easily, without a concern.
I would also like to do some research into figuring out how to make our water source gravity feed.
I think we should also clear out a bit of the basement for can storage etc, but then, not so sure, it's really creepy down there.
I want to learn more about sewing, canning, gardening, a basic self sustaining lifestyle. I also think we need a couple sheep for that, Jeff, not so sure. (After re-reading that, it sounds like I'm not so sure I need Jeff, LOL! Not what I meant, I meant Jeff is not so sure we need sheep :P )
I also think we should take part of the back hill, and dig into it, as a 'safe place' for items...like food, water, fabrics, bedding, things we may not be able to get our hands on, but so we don't have to store it all in the house.
There's a couple other ideas running around in my head, but they're not coming out at at the moment.
If you can't tell, I'm worried about the future.
11 comments:
Cera might want to come live with you if you have goats...she keeps telling me she wants a goat for christmas. i tell her no...lol.
LOL Tanya!
are you worried about 2012 or about the country falling apart bc of the crap economy? we're with you on option 2.
i want chickens too, when ever we can move somewhere that allows them. so i'm a little jealous you guys are getting to put this all in action! i wish we lived closer so we could can togther next summer. i did it this summer for the first time & it wasn't as hard as i thought, but it's easier with a big batch & helping hands.
& as an aside-- N LOVES goats. not kidding. he thinks they are the best critters ever.
Kate, a little bit of both, thinking perhaps the state of the nation is the cause to 2012 maybe? Regardless, 2012 is our deadline for being 'ready'...
Then move here, :D Would love to have ya :D
Kae also loves goats, like, over the top in love with the things....
Me, i'm partial to the fainting goats myself;) (Although not what we're getting initially, perhaps later on?)
That is awesome Iiri!! Good for you planning & preparing. Did the links I give you help? We'd love to work on being self-sufficient, too. Mike really wants a wood stove for alternative heat, but i"m not so sure about it.
I wish we all lived closer too, and we could have a huge canning party or something! Shoot, we could all live on the same land and share animals and share work too ;)
oh, also, I want llamas or alpacas. I'd love to learn to use their fibers & knit with them. goats we'd have for milk, but they sure make cute pets too!
Mandy, that's why I want sheep, for knitting and stuff, never considered Alpacas or Llamas, hmmmm.
We could be a 'commune' heheee...
I would urge you to look into a wood stove, what is it that has you hesitating?
ANd I haven't looked through them all, but I have the post bookmarkked for when I have more time to peruse ;)
Llamas are used in Peru for guards over the sheep. If a wolf or some other predator tries to get to them... BLAM! They get a kick by the Llama. If you have room get both sheep and llamas. Oh, I books to recommend but, I must first find where I put the titles and authors. If you are looking into canning I would suggest a book on the subject by Ball. Also, I have to say I LOVE my food grinder/baby food maker by Back to Basics. Also, I'm lusting (yes lusting tis true) after a hand grain grinder (I'll find the name it's bookmarked on the other computer) I'd also suggest switching to cast iron skillets and bread pans... as they work well in fire and coals as well as stove tops and ovens. I have lots of ideas and thoughts on self-sufficiency if you're interested. Mormons are nutty about that kind of thing in case you didn't know.
Iiri, here's a good website for sustainable living. Yes, hippyish and very "GREEN" but, once you get past some of that they have great books, and fun stuff in their catalog. http://www.realgoods.com/?ihtc=g_br_sto_na
Oh, and the flour mill I like is called the Country Living Grain Mill. The website is: http://countrylivinggrainmills.com/
When I get more info I'll let you know!
Iiri, here's the website for cast iron. I LOVE Lodge's cast iron skillets. http://www.lodgemfg.com/
Thanks for the links Brandi! When Liam leaves me with a few extra minutes I'll check them out:D
I do have a few cast iron skillets thoug, we love them, except they don't work so well on a glass top stove, so we don't use them much...but we do have a woodstove hehee!
Jeff and I also like the idea of a LLama...but we'll see how that goes:)
This spring we're doing the chickens and the goats, and the following sheep and Llamas... i'm super excited:D
Post a Comment