Friday, February 12, 2010

NASCAR is back!

YAY! The Daytona 500 is on this Sunday! I'm so excited! I love NASCAR! I really don't know why, but I am in the minority of women who actually enjoy the sport. It probably helps that the drivers I like are also pretty hot, but that's a whole different story, LOL!

It also is Valentines Day this Sunday. A day for couples to celebrate their togetherness. A day for hallmark and similar companies to make lots of extra money, not to mention chocolate/candy companies. Granted it's not *just* about money, but it's another commercialized holiday really. Overall, it's a well intentioned day, for couples to spend time together, and show each other their appreciation.

My plans for Valentines Day are, in no specific order, have our normal Sunday cinnamon rolls, clean out a fridge that was given to us, and makes sure it works, clean out the laundry room, remove the washer, and make room for the new one, and watch the Daytona 500.

So fun filled day, right. Ok, well watching the race with Jeff I am looking forward too (and Kae too, if she gets home early, and the end providing she at least gets home 'on time'), but it really got me to thinking....

The NASCAR watching population so to speak is primarily (although this IS changing) male. How many pissed off wives, fiance's and girlfriends will NASCAR cause this Sunday?

How many women will forget the breakfast in bed, nice piece of jewelry, nice card, back rub, sleep in, chocolates, lingerie, dinner that was promised for after the race, gentle hugs and kisses, flowers, etc .etc. and still be upset that their partner wants to watch the "Superbowl" of racing? I know there are those, like me, who don't care, it's no big deal, but you know there are those selfish women out there who think (unjustifiably) that the day is about them. It's about both, but how many men with be berated to the point of not being able to watch because the female just "doesn't like racing", and since it's Valentines Day he should find something better to do with her.

Just made me wonder. I know it goes both ways.

I am fortunate, because I *think* I am not among those who think of themselves that way. I honestly don't think that any of my friends would begrudge the Daytona 500 if it was something their partners were into.

I am double fortunate that I am with Jeff as well. He started out not liking NASCAR. It just wasn't his thing. But, he is a sports type guy. Hockey, football, baseball, he watches them, has played them (Hockey almost professionally might I add ;) ), and he quickly embraced MY 'sport', because...

He loves me.

and isn't that what Valentines Day is all about?

2 comments:

Legerdemain said...

Yep, I love ya, and this is just reason #598 why! ;)

Kate said...

bc i love you iiri, i won't knock nascar. :)

sports bother me not at all, after all i'm as much of a hockey nut as N. & who doesn't love an excuse to hang out on the couch with a beer?